Software Engineers (Devops, Production and Camera Systems)
Bristol UK £30,000 - £50,000 + 10% bonus + pension
Rovco is a subsea robotics company, advancing the state of the art in subsea inspection by developing the technology for live 3D from visual inspection and machine learning driven visual analysis. The research and development team is growing, and this role represents a chance to get involved with the core of our technology and shape its ongoing development.
We’re based in Bristol in the South West of the UK. Regularly praised as one of the top places to live in the UK with a high quality of life, vibrant culturally and with great transport links without the expense of London life.
Computer vision, video processing and 3D is the core of what we’re developing at Rovco. We already have researcher working on our state of the art 3D vision perception systems, and we’re looking to expand the team with solid software engineering expertise.
You’ll work closely with hydrographic surveyors and the operations side of the business to understand our requirements, and expect to participate in field trials of our software on our robotic platforms. As a young and fast growing company you’ll be expected to exhibit a high degree of autonomy, able to research and develop solutions yourself. You will play a key role in our growth developing core technology whilst helping the rest of the team.
We have up to three positions for software engineers, with a focus on filling out three particular specialisms:
- Devops and test – developing robotic systems there are many challenges with code deployment, and testing. These are also shared with our online data delivery platform. You’ll contribute to both, as well as software quality across the team.
- Production software and engineering management – this specialism would suit someone with experience leading teams of developers. You'll be responsible for ensuring development runs on schedule and produces quality software.
- Camera systems development – this specialism focuses on our lower level camera systems. Experience with image processing, or even electrical engineering and systems design would be beneficial here.
Regardless of specialism, you’ll be expect to bring quality software engineering skills to our team and contribute to our core systems. You’ll be hands-on with a combination of implementing your own ideas and developing the current system.
Software EngineersKey Skills and Experience:
- Developing on Linux, C++. We’re a small team and everyone is expected to get hands-on.
- Writing and testing production code, working in teams.
- Evidence of developing reasonably complex software from scratch, or leading/architecting development (in contrast to just working on existing code bases following other’s direction).
- Interest in applied robotics and AI.
- One of:
- Devops and/or software test experience. Think configuration management using Saltstack or similar, test automation with Jenkins and so on.
- Software engineering management, agile processes etc.
- Image processing or electrical engineering/systems design. You’re familiar with OpenCV, or can think about how you might design and build a camera system from scratch.
- PhD in relevant area
- CUDA programming experience
- Robotics or embedded systems experience
- Public work you can point to - papers, Github, shipped software etc.
- Experience supervising others.
£30k-50k, negotiable depending on experience, plus 10% bonus, 25 days holiday plus bank holidays, and generous pension provision.
If the description sounds like you, we want to hear from you. If you don’t quite meet the requirements but think you could do the job and can show how, we’d love for you to convince us. Email with a CV and a few words about what attracts you to the role. Don’t forget to include “software engineer” somewhere in the subject and mention the specialism that would suit you.