Machine Learning Engineer (Computer Vision)
Bristol UK £30,000 - £55,000 + 10% Bonus + Pension
Rovco is a subsea robotics company, advancing the state of the art in subsea inspection by developing the technology for live 3D from visual inspection and machine learning driven visual analysis. The research and development team is growing, and this role represents a chance to get involved with the core of our technology and shape its ongoing development.
We’re based in Bristol in the South West of the UK. Regularly praised as one of the top places to live in the UK with a high quality of life, vibrant culturally and with great transport links without the expense of London life.
Computer vision, video processing and 3D is the core of what we’re developing at Rovco. We already have engineers working on our state of the art 3D vision perception systems, and we’re looking to expand the team with machine learning expertise.
This will require implementing existing research approaches, and developing novel solutions to the challenging problems faced in subsea vision. The scope of work ranges from developing back end systems to process large amounts of video survey data into reports, to online systems performing object detection live on embedded subsea systems.
You’ll work closely with hydrographic surveyors and the operations side of the business to understand our requirements, and expect to participate in field trials of our software on our robotic platforms. As a young and fast growing company you’ll be expected to exhibit a high degree of autonomy, able to research and develop solutions yourself. You will play a key role in our growth developing core technology whilst helping the rest of the team.
We’re looking to fill a single role with machine learning expertise, and you’ll have a good selection of the skills below with the drive and experience to lead our efforts in this area. Our small agile team, and service focussed company means that your ideas and implementations will see real use fast, we iterate quickly, getting new solutions to customers.
Machine Learning EngineerKey Skills and Experience:
- Deep learning, specifically CNNs
- Classical ML techniques - not everything is best solved by a black box. Sometimes SVMs and feature engineering get the job done. You’ll know what this means.
- You've worked on a real ML system, with real data, not just toy/example cases.
- Experience with one or more of the major frameworks, e.g. Tensorflow, Caffe (1/2), PyTorch etc.
- Developing on linux, OpenCV, C++.
- Writing and testing production code, working in teams.
- Evidence of developing reasonable complex software from scratch, or leading/architecting development (in contrast to just working on existing code bases following other’s direction).
- Interest in applied robotics and AI.
- PhD in relevant area.
- CUDA programming experience.
- Robotics or embedded systems experience.
- Web development experience, e.g. deep learning based data processing backend systems.
- Public work you can point to – papers, Github, shipped software etc.
- Experience with data collection, video and image annotation.
- Experience supervising others.
Salary£30k-55k, negotiable depending on experience, plus 10% bonus, 25 days holiday plus bank holidays, and generous pension provision.
If the description sounds like you, we want to hear from you. If you don’t quite meet the requirements but think you could do the job and can show how, we’d love for you to convince us. Email with a CV and a few words about what’s attracted you to the role – don’t forget to include “machine learning engineer” somewhere in the subject.