Computer Vision Engineer
Bristol UK £30,000 - £60,000 + 10% Bonus + Pension
Rovco is a subsea robotics company, advancing the state of the art in subsea inspection by developing the technology for live 3D from visual inspection and machine learning driven visual analysis. The research and development team is growing, and these roles represent a chance to get involved with the core of our technology and shape its ongoing development.
We’re based in Bristol in the South West of the UK. Regularly praised as one of the top places to live in the UK with a high quality of life, vibrant culturally and with great transport links without the expense of London life.
Computer vision, video processing and 3D is the core of what we’re developing at Rovco.
As a computer vision and autonomy engineer for Rovco you’ll be key in designing and implementing everything from our camera hardware, the video processing pipeline and real-time 3D reconstruction software. This will require implementing existing research approaches, and developing novel solutions to the challenging problems faced in subsea vision.
You’ll work closely with hydrographic surveyors and the operations side of the business to understand our requirements, and expect to participate in field trials of our software on our robotic platforms. As a young and fast growing company you’ll be expected to exhibit a high degree of autonomy, able to research and develop solutions yourself. You will play a key role in our growth developing core technology whilst helping the rest of the team.
There are two roles currently, a lead role where we expect hands-on experience with SLAM algorithms and a more general role where an interest in robotics or AI plus evidence of some of our desirable skills is sufficient.
Computer Vision Development LeadKey Skills and Experience:
- SLAM – ideally vision based, multi-view geometry, 3D reconstruction, SFM,
- Experience with camera calibration, sensor fusion – e.g. Kalman filters, perhaps visual inertial odometry.
- Developing on linux, OpenCV, C++.
- Writing and testing production code, working in teams.
- Evidence of developing reasonable complex software from scratch, or leading/architecting development (in contrast to just working on existing code bases following other’s direction).
- Interest in applied robotics and AI.
- PhD in relevant area.
- CUDA programming experience
- 3D visualisation experience
- Web development experience, e.g. web apps for visualisation or using cloud computing for data processing.
- Public work you can point to – papers, Github, shipped software etc.
- Experience with object detection/image segmentation/deep learning.
- Hands-on robotics (particularly field robotics) or embedded systems experience.
- Experience supervising others.
You’ll have a subset of the above, plus strong interest in robotics, AI or computer vision. Perhaps you’re missing some of our requirements but can demonstrate strong software engineering skills and experience in CI, electrical engineering, or relevant side projects you’ve taken on.
If these descriptions sound like you, we want to hear from you. Email with a CV and a few words about what’s attracted you to the roles.